Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2015

summer gone by

Summer has come and gone. Another season gone past, and I am not exactly sure where it went.

I had excellent intentions for doing fun science projects with the kids, and getting out all of the crazy messy art supplies, and taking day trips to museums and amusement parks and kid-centered places, and establishing a routine of summer academics in the morning and quiet reading or rest in the afternoon. I had excellent intentions for being a creative and exciting mother who is the perfect balance between structure and fun. Most excellent intentions.

The truth is that our summer didn't look a thing like that. Our move date from our beloved "farm", where we had spent 6 years in a phase of life mostly collecting stuff rather than getting rid of it, was the very final day of school back in May. Which means we started the summer with a house full of boxes to unpack and no where to send our children while we did it!

I am not exactly sure what we did with our summer days, but they felt busy. We unpacked boxes. We explored our new yard. We tried to do small projects, but I feel this was mostly unsuccessful with all three kids at home. We entertained family and friends and guests of all ages, coming to say hello in our new space. We stayed up late, playing outdoors until the darkness sent us inside. We argued a little. We laughed a lot. Somehow, without any follow through on the best of intentions, we had a lovely summer.

There was that learning curve in the first few weeks of June when we didn't have a T.V. hooked up, or internet, or any of the go-to entertainment when Momma needs to get something done. I heard the word "boring" few times. I may have felt frustrated a time or two, and may have shut my children up in their rooms a time or two, or more. I may have attacked my husband when he came home from work with a wild request for some alone time for ME.

Then, the magic happened... the kids began to find things to do on their own. Miraculous. Imaginative. The kids did what kids have done for centuries while parents attempt to be responsible for other things: they played. Once they started, they didn't stop. I do believe my children played all summer long. Just as it should be.

With all of the playing, the summer finally flew by. Here we are now, already finishing our second week of school. My oldest in second grade now (Wait! How?)


My middle entered pre-school for the first time. Three days a week and she is already running the class (so I am told...no surprise.)


My baby turned into a little boy over the summer. (But I can still call him "baby", right?) We are enjoying some much-needed solo time together a few times a week.


Without the girls around, the house is oh-so-much quieter. It is a good thing for this season to have a few quiet hours every day. I will feel more mentally ready for the next loud season after I bask in this quiet one for a while.

The quiet is good for my soul. It reminds me to be listening. When I am listening, I can hear the whisper of God's voice. That voice wasn't absent over the summer, it just felt really hard to hear at times amidst the noise of visitors and moving chaos and the constant list of things that need doing that played on repeat in my head. And the incredibly loud shrieks coming from my children. Sometimes shrieks of joy. Sometimes shrieks because one child had removed a handful of hair from another child. Whatever the reason, they seem to be always loud.

In the quiet, now, I feel ready to start back into this blogging hobby that has become an important part of my spiritual journey. It was an unintentionally long break from posting, but a needed break. I am ready to begin again... so, here we go!  A new season in so many ways...


2 comments:

  1. I've missed your posts! Good to see you blogging again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz! I will try to make up for lost time with some catch up posts. But mostly it feels good to know that for the first time in a while I have some excess creative energy.

    ReplyDelete

Warmly encouraged to share your own thoughts...