Pages

Monday, December 21, 2015

joy {advent}

One of the things I love best about the Christmas season is that we don't have to look very far to find joy this time of year. It seems to be all around us... in the excited faces of children, in the extra creativity of teachers planning Christmas fun, in parties and music and special events, even in the smiles of the clerks hired as holiday help that seem to be slowing down the checkout lines, though pleasantly at least. There is a bustle and buzz of enjoyment leading up to Christmas, and in general people make an effort to show some cheer.

On the other hand, the older I get, the more aware I am of the joy-stealers all around me. Whether it is difficult people or difficult circumstances, there is always something lurking in the shadows that will worry away my joy. The mounting obligations of the season only make it worse. Even simple good intentions like buying the right gifts for others, and mailing items off on time, and fretting over the equality of gift distribution among family members only contribute to stealing the joy I want to have in giving those gifts.

Joy shouldn’t be so transient, coming and going from faces at the drop of a glass ornament. When our joy comes from the truth about who Jesus Christ is then no unfortunate circumstance or unhealthy interaction with a friend or unhappy experience in an overcrowded department store can steal our joy. It becomes a lasting kind of joy grounded in truth that doesn't change. That is the power of joy in Jesus Christ.

The Christmas story in the book of Luke features a song of joyful praise sung by Mary the mother of Jesus (Luke 1:46-55). Mary had much to worry about, arguably much more than I do. She found herself pregnant but not married in a time when that did not happen to good girls from good families. She was living in a period in history when God’s people had been waiting an awfully long time for their Savior to come, and wondered at the legitimacy of what they had been promised.

Mary chose to believe, and out of it bubbles a joyful song of praise to God, despite the most unlikely circumstances. Mary has a joyful response in the face of hardship. She felt fearful, troubled, and very alone, but her joy overflows as an act of faith in God and His promises. Mary made an active choice to believe God is who He says He is despite the number of questions, despite her unseen future, and despite the circumstances that threatened her reality.

Joy is not a feeling the way that happiness is. We don't have to feel joyful in order to choose joy. Joy in Jesus comes out of a deep rooted belief that something better is coming. All of the hardships, the discomfort, the challenges, the trials of many kind, are not the end of the story. Despite our circumstances, we can have joy in God’s glorious plan. 

I believe you, Lord. If this is your plan, then I want to be a part of it. Even if my life ends up really hard, I'm in! Whatever today brings, I choose joy.

Mary's Song of Praise (Luke 1:46-55)
Mary responded,
"Oh how my soul praises the Lord.
     How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior!
For he took notice of his lowly servant girl,
     and from now on all generations will call me blessed.
For the Mighty One is holy,
     and he has done great things for me to all who fear him.
His mighty arm has done tremendous things!
     He has scattered the proud and haughty ones.
He has brought down princes from their thrones
     and exalted the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things
     and sent the rich away with empty hands.
He has helped his servant Israel
     and remembered to be merciful.
For he made this promise to our ancestors,
     to Abraham and his children forever.
He shows mercy generation to generation."

Luke 1:46-55 (New Living Translation)

(For the other advent posts in this series see HOPE and PEACE.)

1 comment:

  1. There are many things that do contrive to steal my joy this time of year, too. Just like you, I worry so much about the presents sometimes, the equality of them and choosing the right thing.

    I really like your point about joy, that "we don't have to feel joyful in order to choose joy." The same goes for love, I think; we choose to be love. Merry Christmas, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete

Warmly encouraged to share your own thoughts...