Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2016

the next thing

God has been teaching me about the word “overwhelmed” lately.

It is a word that creeps into many crevices of my life. I get overwhelmed by the messy condition of my home. I get overwhelmed by the behavior of my 4-year-old who seems to have more stamina for throwing tantrums than I do for disciplining. I get overwhelmed by the number of people to whom I should reach out, or return phone calls, or have over for dinner. I get overwhelmed by the projects that need doing that I will never have time to do in the foreseeable future. I even get overwhelmed at the grocery store by the sheer number of cereal boxes there are to choose from in every size and sugar level.

Feeling overwhelmed makes me shut down. I can't do anything very well when I am consumed by the feelings of all that looms too largely in front of me.

Then lately, there is this thought, that maybe the feeling of being overwhelmed isn't something I should entertain. Maybe it isn't from God. Maybe it is something that has worked against me my whole life in order to see me so stopped up by the daily chores that I would never consider do something grandly outside of myself for the love of Christ. 

You see, I also get overwhelmed by the dreams I believe God might be putting in my heart. Too big, too lofty, too hard, too impractical, too far to go from here, too unrealistic at this life stage.

A message has been echoing through the corners of my mind over the last few weeks, originally beginning with the words of Jennie Allen whose gift is sincerity of heart. The message is to begin by being faithful with whatever is the next thing. 

Don't look down the road at the things I might sacrifice or count the ways I am incapable. Simply be faithful with the next thing. Do what God wants for today. When the thing after that comes along, be faithful with that too. 

When I am overwhelmed by the disaster in my kitchen, I take a deep breath and dive into one task at a time. First clear the table. Then put the food away. Move the dishes to the sink. Wipe down counter tops. Do the next thing, and then the thing after that. After inevitable interruptions occur, return and press on. 

Wouldn't it make sense to pursue God with the same faithful step by step approach?

The next thing might be making a phone call, or it might be sitting down to read a book with a child who dearly craves attention. It might be doing dishes with joy. It might be something bigger like saying yes to leading a Bible study, or it might not.

The thing I am seeing clearly is that faithfulness starts little. Following after God's heart is not an overwhelming task looming before us. It has always been simple, requiring little, offering much.





"Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much..." 
Luke 16:10 



"It is like a mustard seed,
which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. 
Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, 
with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade."  
Mark 4:31, 32

8 comments:

  1. This sounds an awful lot like my post for today. Or at least it echoes what's in my heart. We used to have a (funny) minister who would often say, "Don't be overwhelmed. Just be whelmed." ha ha But yes, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's all about the next (small) thing on the list. Not the big looming plans that I set for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly related with your post too, Jennie. It is so easy to be completely halted by our own plans for ourselves, so great in theory and unrealistic in reality. I don't believe that it is God's plan for us to live like that. I like what your minister says... but I wonder what being "whelmed" really looks like, and is it any easier than being overwhelmed? HA!

      Delete
  2. I'm so blessed to have had you visit my blog today so I get the treat to read you blog and see the photos of your most darling children! (I miss the little ones!) What an important message you share..I, too, get very overwhelmed sometimes with household tasks, and am reminded by returning to God, all worry and overwhelm falls to the wayside. I love your wisdom, "begin by being faithful with whatever is the next thing." That's such great advice! I also often get overwhelmed by ideas..I remind myself, 'make all thoughts captive to Christ', and I ask for discernment on which ideas are God's plan.. You write very well, I enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Kathy. So true that we even need to screen our ideas through God asking for discernment. The ones that are from Him will possibly not be nearly as overwhelming!

      Delete
  3. First - the photos of your kiddos are so lovely - the header made me smile, and the daffodil fields with your little ones are beautiful. ��

    and then about your suggestions/insights on overwhelm - that got me thinking. "Do what God wants for today." yes. Keep our eyes on today. Do what I can for today, in today, and neither slack nor overextend IN this day. After all, we pray in the prayer Jesus taught to "give us our daily bread" - not give us bread enough for the next two weeks.... Thank you for your insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. So true that the point is not to have permission to slack today, or to overextend, but just to be faithful with to do our best with what we are given for TODAY alone!

      Delete
  4. This spoke to me in such a wonderful way. Sometimes I look too far in the advance...I want a list of results that I can accomplish. Really though, God is just calling me to take one step at a time. Thank you so much for writing this. It brought me to tears as it was just what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to encourage you, Sarah, with something I struggle with daily. I know you are pregnant, and when I was pregnant pretty much every aspect of life overwhelmed me! There were so many upcoming responsibilities on my plate and I had ZERO energy. Somehow, by the grace of God, we make it through... one step at a time.

      Delete

Warmly encouraged to share your own thoughts...