It's September, and around here we know what that means: it's birthday month.
Don't ask me what we were thinking when we decided to have all three of our kids within 9 days of each other on the calendar. December is a great month... but we do end up paying the price in September. My own birthday is a few days later at the beginning of October. By the time we make it that far I am so exhausted that I usually don't mind when my birthday is completely overlooked. The greatest birthdays are the ones preceded by low expectations.
We try to make each child's individual birthday special... which means that each child gets a cake of their own. Of course, we end up with a ridiculous amount of cake, and no one wants it again until next September.
Traditions are started in a moment of perceived brilliance... that later may feel as far from brilliance as possible. In the spirit of tradition I asked each of my 3 kids the same questions:
Annike (turning 7) answered:
What kind of cake would you like?
--- A fox cake!
What flavor should it be?
--- Fox flavored.
Hmmm... Fox flavored cake? Are you sure?
Sommer (turning 4) answered:
What kind of cake would you like?
--- An osprey cake!
What flavor should it be?
--- Bubble-gum flavor!
Well, daddy will definitely not be helping us eat that cake.
Karsten (turning 2) answered:
What kind of cake would you like?
--- Doot!
What flavor should it be?
--- Choo!
Good. I think I can handle that one.
Wish me luck. I am off to creative caking. Cake-creativity. Cre-cake-tive baketivity.
Oh dear. Bad start.
I think it was around the seventh birthday that my daughter started decorating her own cakes. They looked like something a little 7 year old girl with a big imagination would make. Took a lot of pressure off mommy baketivity. :) And it was fun! The little brother didn't like cake. A candle in a pie? A candle in a big cookie? so easy :)
ReplyDeleteThat is an amazing idea, Liz! My daughter would adore decorating her own cake! I am going to run out of cake ideas soon anyway :-)
DeleteGreat idea!
DeleteAshley, it sounds like your kids have no shortage of cake ideas... ;) Loved reading about them!
Delete