Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2015

turning seven!

Dearest Annike,

Happy SEVENTH Birthday to my sweet-natured, animal-loving, serious but silly girl!


You are a kind friend and a fabulous big sister - and there is nothing I would rather be able to say about my daughter than that. You love God and are always asking me to tell you a Bible story that you haven't heard yet (which is challenging me in new and good ways!) Your artistic talents have continued to blossom through detailed drawings and your beautiful handwriting. You enjoy learning about almost everything, but have recently been particularly engaged in ancient Egypt, insect life, and birds of all types. You, of course, still want to be a scientist when you grow up.

This year you have grown into a new kind of helpful member in our household, faithfully taking on chores like organizing your room, setting and clearing the table at dinner, responsibly watching your siblings, and helping with odds and ends jobs like window cleaning and car washing. The best part is that you do it all with a cheerful heart - and that make me SO PROUD. What a gift you are to our family!

We celebrated your birthday with a last minute invitation to the girls in your second grade class to come over for pizza, cake, and a "play date". I was afraid to call it a birthday party because I didn't have any decorations or party favors or any planned activities. The absence of fancy decorations didn't matter at all because the fun was in being together. I heard one of your friends tell you she was sorry that she didn't bring you a birthday present... and then I had a proud mother moment when you responded, "That's okay! You didn't need to bring me a present. I am just glad you came!"

As it turns out, you changed your mind about wanting a fox cake (which is good because I wasn't sure how to get the fox-flavoring to come out right). Instead you got a chocolate flavored hummingbird cake, which I feel represented you perfectly this year.






I want to remember this group of seven-year-olds as having big teeth, big feet, big imaginations, and really dirty faces. For all of the ways they are getting bigger, they are still quite little girls in many ways. Don't grow up too quickly, my child!

2 comments:

  1. Hurray for last minute parties! Happy Birthday to an amazing girl, who wants to be a scientist like her Mamma :)

    ReplyDelete

Warmly encouraged to share your own thoughts...